Recruitment Assistance Program
This program provides qualifying dentists a payment in return for three continuous years of practice in an eligible rural community. Dentists must enter into a contract with the South Dakota Department of Health in order to participate in the program. The amount of tuition reimbursement for a qualifying dentist is equal to twice the current USD school of Medicine's resident tuition for a four-year period. Since South Dakota does not have a dental school, the USD School of Medicine's resident tuition is being used as the basis for reimbursement. The current amount is approximately $140,000.
To be eligible a Dentist must:
- Be licensed as a Dentist in South Dakota.
- Agree to practice as a general dentist in an eligible community for at least three consecutive years.
- Provide services to Medicaid Patients.
To be eligible a community must:
- Have a population of 10,000 or less
- Have been assessed by the Department of Health and determined to both need and be able to sustain a dentist.
- Agree to pay a pro-rated portion of the total reimbursement payments:
Under 2,500 population - 25%
2,500 - 5,000 population - 50%
Over 5,000 population - 75%